Friday, August 06, 2004

Some Sketches I Did In College

Here are some sketches I did in college of two friends based on some photographs I had taken. Somewhere I have one I did of Richard in New Zealand, but it's not in the folder. If I can find it, I'll add it in.

I guess it would be interesting to know whether this qualifies as art. All it really was was me seeing if I could draw friends from pictures. Experimenting with shading with a pencil.



9 Comments:

Blogger Paul G. said...

Of course it's art (you read my post on what art is).

10:57 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Yeah, but your definition seemed so incredibly loose. As if art is the same as artifact.

I want some qualitative reassurances from the word --like smiles on people's faces. And if there are no smiles, then perhaps it is just a Sheryl artifact, eh?

5:18 PM  
Blogger gecko said...

If it's pleasing to the eye and or makes you excersice your brain (IMHO) it's art.

Your sketches qualify (to me) as both art (your interpretation of a photo) and artifact (a representation of your artistic abilities at the time).

8:10 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Hey Gecko,

Thanks for the kind words

Hmmm...I'll go along with half your definition of art.

I think a lot of bad things in life cause people to "exercise their brains," but I would not want to elevate them to the prestige associated with the word art. Like if someone gets raped, it makes me think, but I would not call it art. Or like that guy who hung the cow in the museum. It got me to think, but only because it struck me as something that might desentize people about life, which struck me as a bad moral judgement.

But thanks for finding my picture pleasing. :-)))

And I wasn't trying to be contrary by disagreeing. I honestly have given thought to whether making people think is sufficient to calling something art. If the word art didn't mean so much to people, but I think it determines resource allocation and prestige, so it's not a neutral word.

2:12 AM  
Blogger Damien said...

Firstly I think both are cool, I guess the term itself 'Art' has been an over used commodity - heck as long as it's challenging when it needs to be, technically correct when it has to be, or just refreshing, which this is. I never stop smiling when i find original art in the blogsphere. "Yikes New Zealand".

3:11 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Thanks, Damien. :-)

Some of my art is a lot more art than other things. Some of it is 90% out of my head, and then some of it is just fiddling with photoshop filters .

The latter maybe looks original, and I guess it's still art, but certainly required considerably less skill or imagination. Although Photoshop filters can be like brushes. But I think there are creative ways to use them and obvious ways.

11:36 PM  
Blogger M A F said...

Whether you want to refer to your drawings as art is of your won choosing. I haven't read Paul's definition of art.) From my perspective there is no doubt that your drawings are artist. The self critic is often the most difficult to please.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Thanks, Macdonald's Animal Farm. And you are clearly a very talented cartoonist, so that makes me feel good. :-)

7:27 PM  
Blogger GETEXIS said...

I like it. What would be better than our own draw skills?

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home